Contact Us Today 214-494-8033


Permanent Residents: Renewing Or Replacing Your Green Card

Posted by Ann Badmus | May 23, 2013 | 0 Comments

A Permanent Resident Card, also known as a Green Card, is proof of permanent resident status in the United States. It also serves as a valid identification document and proof of eligibility to live and work in the United States. Although some Green Cards contain no expiration date, most are valid for 10 years. For individuals who have been granted conditional permanent resident status, the card is valid for 2 years. It is important to keep one's Green Card up-to-date. Without a valid card, it may be difficult to prove permanent resident status, and this could also affect one's ability to travel or prove eligibility to work in the United States.

When to renew your Green Card

You should renew your Green Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within the next six months. If your Green Card is valid for only 2 years, you are a conditional resident. You will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence before the card expires. You may file this petition 90 days before your conditional Green Card expires. If your petition is approved, you will be sent a new Green Card valid for 10 years. You do not need to file Form I-90 (this is discussed below). If your Green Card does not have any expiration date on the front, then you have a very old version. Most old versions are no longer valid. Even if your Green Card does not have an expiration date on it, it is highly recommended that you apply to renew it.

When do I need to replace my Green Card?

Apply to replace your Green Card if any information on it needs to be changed, or if it has been lost, stolen, or damaged. Also, if you became a permanent resident before you turned 14 years old, you are required to replace your card when you become 14 years old.

What application do I file to replace or renew my Green Card?

To apply to renew or replace your card, use Form I-90 , Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. The Form I-90 is available at

Removing conditions on a 2-year conditional Green Card

Do not use Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. If you are a permanent resident who was granted conditional permanent resident status, you are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of your card expiring. If your conditional status was based on a marriage, file Form I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence). If your conditional status was based on being an investor or entrepreneur, file Form I-829 (Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status). If you do not file the petition to remove the conditions before your conditional Green Card expires, you may lose your permanent resident status. Form I-751 and Form I-829 are available at

About the Author

Ann Badmus

Principal and Managing Attorney


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Badmus & Associates is committed to answering your questions. We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience.

Contact us today to schedule an appointment.